Friday, October 29, 2010

Vija Celmins

I met Vija through my artist friend Jeanne Hedstrom on Thanksgiving in NY. I met Jeanne when her dog Macho peed on my trash in Soho 13 years ago. We shopped for haciendas with little luck and then Vija bought a house that I designed and renovated a few years ago. Having only seen the prints that were shown at the Met I was very excited this summer to her show at McKee Gallery in NY that did not disappoint. She has a show in this November of older works at the Menil in Houston. The Menil Collection and consisting of approximately 20 paintings and two small sculptures, Vija Celmins: Television and Disaster will be the first exhibition to concentrate on a specific time (1964-1966) and subject matter – including violence in America, U.S. involvement in the Vietnam War, and the news media. The show will be in L.A. March-June 2011.

No comments: